OHOW’s Favorite Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup with Smoked Gouda Recipe
As winter ascends on Wisconsin and the cold weather ramps up to snow days, OHOW is preparing our top-rated menu with warm and comforting winter favorites. And what better way to warm up on a cold Wisconsin winter night than with a bowl of creamy sweet pepper soup?
This chef-prepared roasted red bell pepper soup is rich, comforting, and packed with flavor. The recipe starts off with oven-roasted sweet red bell peppers blended into a velvety soup base, and can be topped off with a sprinkle of smoked gouda and a handful of garlic croutons.
Add this flavorful winter soup recipe into your rotation to enjoy on any cold Wisconsin night.
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup with Smoked Gouda
- 6 large red bell peppers (or two 23oz jars or cans of whole roasted red bell peppers)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz. can of tomato paste
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- kosher salt to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place peppers on a baking pan and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, turning the peppers to coat evenly. Roast for about 15 minutes. Turn peppers over and roast for about 15 more minutes. Peppers should be slightly charred and soft.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until cool. Once the peppers are cool remove the stems, seeds, and the outside skin. Now you can cut the peppers into thin strips to use in the soup. (If you are using canned or glass jars of roasted red bell peppers then you can skip this part).
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a one-gallon soup pot on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add diced onion and garlic. Cook at low heat until onions are translucent.
- Next add smoked paprika, dried oregano, chicken stock, tomato paste and peppers. Cook on medium heat until the liquid comes to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Now remove from heat and with handheld immersion blender (or you can ladle the liquid into a regular blender) puree mixture until smooth. Once smooth, bring the pureed mixture back to low heat and simmer. Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Add heavy whipping cream and slowly add the 2 cups of shredded smoked gouda. Continue to stir slowly and keep soup at a low simmer.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with a few garlic croutons.
Serve our roasted red bell pepper soup as a starter or paired with salad or a sandwich.