OHOW’s Favorite Chicken Fried Steak with Sausage Gravy Recipe
Looking for some classic Southern comfort food? Chicken fried steak is a down-home, satisfying favorite. Try this delicious, easy-to-make meal for brunch or dinner!
Where’s the poultry in chicken fried steak? Contrary to the name, there’s not a trace of chicken in this Southern staple! This country fried steak recipe is made with a crispy buttermilk breaded cube steak cooked to golden-brown perfection. The crunchy breading resembles the texture and flavor of juicy fried chicken—hence the name chicken fried steak!
To make your own Southern-style chicken fried steak at home, start with the delicious buttermilk batter. Cayenne pepper and paprika give the flavorful breading the perfect kick of heat. Finally, top your chicken fried steak off with a creamy homemade sausage gravy.
Chicken fried steak can be enjoyed for dinner served alongside mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetables. Better yet, serve this dish for a Southern-style brunch, paired with buttermilk biscuits, sausage, and bacon! Try this flavorful dish to experience the comforts of Southern cooking right from your home.
Chicken Fried Steak with Sausage Gravy Recipe
- 4 cubed steaks about 6-8 ounces each
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces pre-cooked breakfast sausage crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the four cube steaks in a glass Pyrex-type dish. Mix the buttermilk, eggs, cayenne pepper and two teaspoons of salt together. Pour over the cube steaks and marinate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, paprika, and cornstarch. Season with cracked black pepper.
- In a shallow frying pan add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pan and heat to about 350 degrees. Remove the cube steaks from the liquid mixture and coat in the flour/cornstarch mixture. Place the coated cube steaks carefully into hot oil and fry on each side until golden brown.
Sausage Gravy Directions
- In a medium size saucepan melt butter, then add flour and cook for about 1 minute over medium heat. Add the sausage crumbles and slowly add chicken broth to the flour mixture; let simmer for about 2 minutes. Next add the garlic and the rest of the seasonings to the thickened sauce. Cook for an additional minute and then add milk and heavy cream. Simmer for about 5 more minutes and set aside on low heat.
- Remove cube steaks from hot oil. Serve the chicken fried steak with a buttermilk biscuit and a fried egg, topped with sausage pepper gravy and enjoy!