OHOW’s Favorite Santa Fe Seafood & Black Bean Soup
As spring gets into full swing and summer lingers right around the corner, the bold flavors of Southwestern cuisine are next up on the menu. The OHOW chefs have created this favorite Santa Fe seafood and black bean soup recipe, with all the flavors and warmth of New Mexico in a bowl. Bring the Southwest to your kitchen with this delicious black bean soup!
“You might not have time to travel to Santa Fe, sit atop a 7,000 ft. mountain, and enjoy 320 days of beautiful, sunny weather. But you can enjoy a little taste of New Mexico with this flavorful and easy-to-make black bean soup,” Chef Mike Wolf says.
All the Flavors of The Southwest in One Easy Black Bean Soup
Our Santa Fe seafood and black bean soup calls for minimal ingredients—most of which you may have in your pantry already. Our Southwestern soup recipe starts with a simple chicken stock base. Combine the black beans, corn, salsa, and seasoning, then add cream to thicken up the base into a creamy, flavorful black bean soup.
Finally, add your choice of seafood, simmer until done, and enjoy! What’s the best seafood to add to Southwestern black bean soup? Scallops, shrimp, cod, and catfish are all popular seafood additions that pair deliciously with this black bean soup recipe.
Want to make a vegetarian black bean soup? Skip the seafood and substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth, and you’ll have an equally delicious vegetarian option. Finally, add your favorite garnishes like crunchy tortilla chips, creamy avocado slices, sour cream, or a spicy hot sauce for added zest.
OHOW’s favorite black bean and seafood soup is a popular option among OHOW patients and staff. With summer around the corner, our Santa Fe seafood and black bean soup is the perfect dish to add to your recipe rotation.
Santa Fe Seafood & Black Bean Soup
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ cup half-cup shrimp and or bay scallops
- 1 can drained black beans 15 oz
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 5 oz heavy cream
- 20 oz chicken stock
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- ½ cup sour cream
- Place melted butter and flour in a 1-gallon soup pot and gently heat both the flour and butter for about 6 minutes (do not brown the flour).
- Add chicken stock to the flour mixture and bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add corn, beans, cumin and taco seasoning, salsa, and cream. Continue to cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Add the green onion, seafood, and sour cream. Cook for about another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For added spice, add your favorite hot sauce. Garnish with crispy tortilla chips, avocado, or more sour cream.