OHOW’s Mediterranean Roasted Cod Recipe
In the winter, nothing is better than a simple and delicious baked fish. In the OHOW kitchen, one of our favorite fish dishes is our Mediterranean roasted cod recipe. This baked cod dish makes an uncomplicated and delicious winter meal with fresh or frozen Atlantic cod and zesty tomato and caper-olive sauce over rice.
“As the nights get shorter and a bit colder, this is a perfect dish to warm up your kitchen and fill your soul with echoes of warm Mediterranean breezes,” says OHOW’s Chef Mike. If you love fish recipes, be sure to check out Chef Mike’s pan-roasted arctic char too!
Fresh Flavors, Even in Cold Weather
But in the winter months, fish makes an excellent protein for many seasonal flavors. It goes well with many different cuisines, including Mexican, Japanese, and in this case, Mediterranean. Cod is a nice choice because it’s a mild but meaty fish—perfect for cold weather.
For this Mediterranean roasted cod recipe, we chose Atlantic cod. What’s the difference between Atlantic and Pacific cod? Atlantic cod has a flakier texture and slightly sweeter flavor, which pairs nicely with olives and tomatoes. If your fishmonger only has Pacific cod, it will still be fine in this dish. Cod from the west coast has a savory taste and a chunkier texture that some people prefer.
The other flavors in this dish are quite familiar—tomatoes, onions, oregano, garlic, capers, and of course, green olives. Lemon brings brightness to the dish, and parsley also evokes the tastes of the Mediterranean. The preparation of this meal is minimal for a big, restaurant-worthy payoff.
We prefer to serve this dish with rice instead of pasta. Saffron rice is lovely, and the yellow makes an especially beautiful contrast with the reds and greens. But, of course, any rice would work, including basmati or jasmine.
This roasted cod recipe is a perfect weeknight dish, taking very little time to prepare and cook. You can enjoy a beautiful, comforting meal in about half an hour. Roasted cod would be great with a glass of white wine or sparkling water.
How to Make OHOW’s Mediterranean Roasted Cod Recipe
To make this Mediterranean cod recipe, you’ll begin with preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
Next, you’ll prepare your zesty tomato sauce that will top the roasted Atlantic cod. Bring a 14-inch skillet or sauté pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Once the oil has reached medium heat, sauté your onions and garlic until they’re translucent. Then, add your spices, green olive slices, lemon zest, lemon juice, diced tomatoes, and capers. Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes to infuse the flavors.
Place your cod onto a 9 by 12-inch baking dish and season the fish with salt and cracked pepper. Spoon over the hot tomato and olive-caper sauce to envelop the fish in flavor. Bake the cod for about 15 minutes.
Once the fish is cooked and flaking apart with ease, garnish this beautiful baked cod dish with chopped parsley and slices of fresh lemon. Serve your roasted Atlantic cod over saffron rice or the rice of your choice. Enjoy!
OHOW’s Mediterranean Roasted Cod Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh or frozen Atlantic cod
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/5 cup large diced Spanish onions
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a 14-inch skillet or sauté pan on the stovetop and bring to medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Sauté onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add oregano, thyme, green olives, lemon zest, lemon juice, diced tomato, and capers. Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place four equal portions of cod in a 9 x 12-inch baking dish. Season the cod with kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste. Spoon over hot tomato and olive-caper sauce—bake for about 15 minutes.
- Garnish the baked cod dish with chopped parsley and slices of fresh lemon. Serve over saffron rice or rice of your choice.